Fall

Fall

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Travel Buddy

In considering getting another dog, I was hoping for one who enjoys the car for road trips and able to stay in a hotel or cabin. When I adopted Rene, I wasn't sure if she met this criteria. Being as shy and timid as she is, I was afraid that a new environment may freak her out. Well, once again, my girl proved  to be able to conquer her fears and anxieties, and I think will be the perfect travel companion I was hoping for!

Rene has always enjoyed being in the car, and we can drive for hours with her snoozing soundly in the backseat. I bought a sling that holds her comfortably in the back seat so she doesn't get propelled forward if I stop or turn. I decided to test her out on Friday night with a trip to Estes Park. Instead of spending a lot of money on a cabin, we stayed in a pet friendly hotel room at Hotel Estes. It suited us perfectly and after we checked in, she sniffed around the room and paced a bit, but then settled down onto the little bed I made for her on the floor. We then drove around town and did some people watching, and then went up to my favorite YMCA of the Rockies property and walked around. The view is always so nice at the camp, and hopefully Rene and I can stay there this summer in a cabin.





We drove in the early evening to Rocky Mountain National Park, where I captured this photo on the way to Bear Lake:


I had researched what to eat for dinner-something I could pick up for take-out and eat in the room. There is a fast casual Tex-Mex place called Peppers, so I ordered dinner and swiftly picked it up while she patiently waited in the car and ate in the room. We finished the night with Rene snoozing on the floor and I watched the first two new episodes of Orange Is The New Black (Spoiler Alert: Do not watch episode 2 about how the prison gets infected with bed bugs when you are staying at a hotel!).

We awoke the next morning early and went back to RMNP early to beat the crowd. We drove up Trail Ridge Road, and I reflected on how Rene and I conquer our fears. Hers, new experiences, mine…the fear of heights! Trail Ridge Road is not for the faint of heart, as there are some jaw dropping heights on the road with no side rails, and when we got to the top I did a little dance and gave myself a pat on the back. We drove back down and enjoyed more of the beautiful park before heading back to the hotel to check out and come home.


There are a few downsides, sure, to traveling with a dog. Most dog friendly hotels don't allow dogs to be left alone, so going out to dinner at a restaurant or doing certain activities, like going to a hot springs pool, are made more difficult. Rene is still very shy, so walking around a busy downtown district is hard because she is wary when people approach her. Other than a few downsides, the upside is that Rene seems like she is always up for a new adventure; consequently, she is always up for when it is time to come home as well. She is a lot like me in that way; I love myself a getaway, but I also love my home-sweet-home. I am so glad I have found my new travel buddy!


No comments: