Fall

Fall

Monday, May 19, 2008

Where does time go?


Remember as a child the feeling of utter freedom? I remember that feeling...summers felt endless, days were filled with playing outside, using my imagination, going to the playground, riding my bike in the neighborhood, playing with friends, having sleepovers...When you get older this feeling of freedom slowly wanes. In high school, it is marked by the end of classes, but I started working at the age of 16 so I started to have obligations where I couldn't be 100% free. Same with college...taking my last final before summer break brought the feeling of freedom but I would take on more hours at work to make more money. Now, the feeling of freedom comes in spurts, in between cleaning the house, working in the yard, grocery shopping, going to work, and taking care of other obligations. I grasp for that feeling of freedom on Saturday morning meandering walks, Sunday afternoon drives, dinner with friends, sitting with my family on the back patio. My goal this summer is to find more of these pockets of freedom-where obligations are non existent and doing whatever I want to is welcome-sitting outside reading a magazine; walking to no where in particular; taking a nap on a hot day with the ceiling fan and air conditioning going full blast. At least I had that feeling of freedom as a child so I can identify with that feeling when it happens as an adult.

No comments: