Fall

Fall

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Saying goodbye to book characters

I just wrapped up probably the best book I have ever read. It is The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. This book was one of those stories where when the story is over I actually miss the characters. That is I think the key to good character development...when a writer creates characters who become good friends to the reader. I wish I didn't have to say farewell to Paloma, Renee and Kakuro; rather, I would love to join them for tea!

How apropos that book club met last night at a coffee shop...in the book, the main character has tea with a good friend daily. It was so good to see the book club gang. I haven't been able to go for the past two months because of my teaching internship. We got to meet the newest baby to the group, and see two expecting mothers. I think most people read the book or at least started it and I hope they finish it. Meg treated us to a delectable cheesecake and I am proud to say I ate almost of all my gargantuan slice.

I had a splendid day yesterday off from work. The perfect schedule to me is 4 days working, with a day off in the middle of the week. The weather has me itching for spring (literally...my allergies are now starting). I had a great long walk with Aimee, Monty and Chester at the park. Monty and Chester aren't the best of friends...Monty is a bit protective of Aimee and you can imagine how he feels when he sees Chester get all excited and jump up on Aimee. So, those of us that are two legged walk and talk, and our four legged friends walk on way opposite sides of each other. They tolerate each other, I guess. After my walk, I spent about 3 hours in the yard. I raked, watered, cleaned up the garden beds and just enjoyed being outside. I went to the mall and bought my mom some aqua goblets at Anthropologie that she had noticed the last time we were there. She and I met for a walk in the afternoon and I got to surprise her with them. I ran to the store, took a shower, ate dinner with Mike and then joined the ladies for book club.

Now I just have today and tomorrow to get through and it is the weekend! On the agenda...spend some time with my beloved husband with whom I have so much fun, and celebrate one of my most special friends with a brunch and people who love her as much as I do!

No comments: