Fall

Fall

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Cove

I typically don't get too political in my blog but I have just finished the documentary The Cove and am horrified by the dolphin industry in Taiji, Japan. Dolphins are captured for places like Seaworld and aquariums, and the ones who are not chosen get taken to this hidden cove and murdered for dolphin meat-which then is being sold in Japan and elsewhere and is tainted with mercury. It was an eye opening documentary. I remember Mike and I visited Seaworld (I now regret I went) and I was in awe at these creatures. Watching this documentary you can see how intelligent, sensitive and amazing these creatures are, as well as how slimy and secretive the fishermen and the local and national Japanese governments are about this practice. Check out the link to the movie and consider stopping the support of places like Seaworld and the exploitation of these amazing creatures.
http://www.thecovemovie.com/

1 comment:

Emily said...

OH my gosh! This breaks my heart. Those fisherman really are sneaky. I don't even know if I could watch the documentary. We have swam (swum?) with dolphins a few times and they are magical. I compared them to labs. Sweet and loving.
I have a good friend named Taiji too. Interesting.