Fall

Fall

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Smellin' like roses...




Let's just say I am getting my poop in a group. Although it smells like the stock show in my backyard, my sewer pipe was in desperate need of replacement. It literally just fell apart when they started digging it up. So, check this project off the "must do" list.

I did have to swallow a very large and prickly pill. In order to replace the pipe, they had to dig up a large part of the patio. The patio was built with the patience, sweat, and occasional curse words of my beloved. There was no getting around it. I asked and I asked and I asked, many times over, "are you sure there is no way to do this without digging it up?" The guy from the pipe company really tried to consider ways to do it but ultimately he said that there was no other way. And, this MUST be done...it isn't something I am choosing to do for sure! This poor guy-Keith-listened to me as I told him about how we built the patio and arbor. How Mike was such a talented guy that way. I begged that he promise me that the workers won't mess up the arbor. He promised he would be stopping by to check in and make sure things go okay. I then started bouncing ideas off him...instead of brick, what did he think of me laying flagstone (he enjoys landscaping)? On and on this exchange went until I felt okay that I could watch this happen. And I have been watching. These workers are awesome-super nice, considerate, and very careful they don't mess anything up. I offered to buy them pizza and they politely declined. Just overall good workers and I am very pleased.

I guess this is just one more of those situations that make me consider alternatives. Instead of re-laying the patio perfectly as Mike did before, I am now considering other design alternatives. I may even extend the garden and do a few other changes to the yard. So, this is just one of those situations I face that requires me to think outside the M&M box. One more step in the grief process.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You strong, gorgeous woman. I am so proud of you. And I'm glad those workers are being gentle and kind. You deserve that and more.
XO