Fall

Fall

Monday, May 9, 2011

Summer promises

I have been in a bit of a blog funk. Lots has happened since my last post, but I haven't really felt like writing about each event. So I will recap here-I got to celebrate Meg's birthday with the birthday girl on her actual day; I got to celebrate Mom with a delicious brunch and some bocce ball; I visited the first Paris Street Market of the season; and I met with my DU internship coordinator to discuss internship possibilities during my first year. In between, I have been working, keeping up with the house chores, and catering to Chester and Stan's every need.

I also started thinking about this spring and summer and how these seasons will be different from last year. I had quit my job at the end of May last year only to face this daunting work void. The idea of a summer off sounded good, but in reality I was overwhelmed by my should do list. I should get this project done, that project done, and enjoy every minute of everything I do. There were some hefty expectations on my shoulders. Of course, as the summer progressed, I discovered how wonderful time off really was; I got to the mountains and to Oregon; I walked and discovered yoga. It took me though every day to wake up and be purposeful in listening to my inner voice about what I wanted to do that day.

This spring and summer, I have a new vantage point. I am no longer a newbie at this time off thing; I have worked at living in the moment and asking myself what do I want to do...(now, today)? But, there are a few summer promises I want to make to myself:

-Enjoy the yard and the yard work that comes with it. Make the most of this labor of love.
-Walk in the early hours of the morning, when the air has a slight chill to it-it is the coolest time of day.
-Keep my feet in tip top, flip flop shape.
-Go to every farmer's market, outdoor concert, and outdoor festival I read about.
-Get to the mountains. Breathe in that fresh mountain air, listen to the pine needles as they wave in the mountain breeze.
-Play at the park. Badminton, bocce ball, picnics...do it all.
-Don't be afraid to wear shorts or a swimsuit.

This is a long enough list for now...these promises scan the surface of some of the joys of summer. Because, it seems, summer is the shortest season of the year.

No comments: