Fall

Fall

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Double Whammy

Last Friday I got an email and phone call that there was fraudulent activity on my credit card. I called immediately and cancelled the card. The customer service rep said the company would be sending another. No big deal, I use my debit card mostly.

I was at Target this morning getting a few things, and upon checkout my debit card would not work. I called and the customer service rep said that the ATM I used on Friday was compromised yesterday and so the bank closed all debit cards and will issue new ones...this week.

I found myself, this morning, card-less. And I felt very abandoned.

After shaking off the inconvenience of waiting for my cards in the mail, I thought about inconvenience. I thought about the victims in the south of the tornadoes. How houses experienced what a Kitchen Aid could do to dry ingredients. How people had to put together their lives based on what they could find in rubble. I thought about the Japanese affected by the tsunami and the radiation spillage. Those towns that are levelled by water. That going outside meant a prayer and a mask. I thought to myself, yes, maybe I need to write checks until I get my cards, but at least my inconvenience isn't an entire uprooting of my entire life and well being.

No comments: