Fall

Fall

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

How will you greet the day?

I had one of those moments early this morning that, if I let it, will define my day. The moment itself is not the topic of this posting, but how I let it affect me is. I used to scoff at those pollyanna happy people that say those quotes like, "Only you can decide what kind of day you are going to have..." I used to think, "really? What if this bad thing or that bad thing happens? How can I stay even tempered and positive"? But the longer I keep my feet on this earth, the more I realize that I agree with this statement. Not to be pollyannaish, I don't want to fake or falsely happy. But when I think of my true nature, I think I am a relatively happy person. For the most part, I am pretty easy to get along with. I find very few things irritate me, and when they do I try to not take it too seriously. Like, last night at Blockbuster, I got irritated at the cashier and then apologized, realizing that he isn't the CEO of Blockbuster. Or, my little car incident...I could have completely freaked out on the lady whose bumper wedged into my tire, but I didn't. I just accepted the situation and took the steps to work through it. So this morning, after shedding a few frustrated tears, and muttering to myself all through my morning routine, I think about the sentiment that I am in control of how I face my day. And instead of facing my day feeling bad about myself, or feeling bad about the situation, I choose to feel good about myself and realize that I can't always control the things that happen to me. I have a quote on an artpiece by my front door...Be Where You Are. And I am here, getting centered again and choosing to return to my happy self.

No comments: