Fall

Fall

Friday, June 3, 2011

Gardening

"Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden."~Orson Scott Card

I have been finding myself in gardening mode these past few days. Yesterday, mom, dad and I met at the cemetery to plant flowers around Mike's grave. I pictured him saying to me, "Finally! Real flowers instead of those cheesy fake ones you put around my grave."
We planted purple salvia, yellow coreopsis, lavender, and red and white petunias. I had found this stone after he died and it sits in the corner of the garden.
There is also Mr. Gnome who keeps an eye on the flowers and shoos away any deer, rabbits or other creatures that think a flower might make a good meal.
Mike's dad put up the most beautiful windchimes in "Mike's tree." (Mike is buried by a tree that I have claimed to be his.) They make the most beautiful sound in the breeze.
I finally put the finishing touches on my yard. I am looking forward to days of sitting and reading, entertaining, and the day to day maintenance the yard requires.
I began my day at the Denver Botanic Gardens. I should be the spokesperson for getting a membership. Everytime I go I find a different landscape. Plus, the coffee shop makes a killer cambric tea, and the gift shop has the best home and garden items (hint hint for future Christmas gifts...)
I have always found gardening to be a metaphor for life. Each day brings something new. The garden only thrives if it is taken care of...fed, watered, tended to. It has its seasons when it bursts with energy or needs some time to be dormant. But it comes back, year after year, as vibrant as ever.

No comments: