Fall

Fall

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A little bit of whimsy

When I am down, I try to change things up a bit. I have been a bit in a downer mood of late, not sure why, but in an attempt to cheer up I took myself on a drive. I decided to head to Golden because I haven't been there in a while and love small towns. I endured the winding and windy Lookout Mountain Road along with several bicyclists and stopped along the way. I sat on a bench and enjoyed this view.
The wind brought that smell of the mountains-pine needles and fresh air-even though I was only a half hour out of Denver. It gave me that smile I needed.

When I got home, I purposefully looked around at the whimsy I have in my house. It is one reason I like living in a quirky, old home...my little bits of whimsy fit right in.
This is a birdcage I bought at the Botanic Gardens. I bought one for Meg because she deserves a bit of whimsy, too. It hangs in my dining room window.
These are some of my favorite handmade items. I made the collage last summer at the height of my artistic frenzy. Mia made both Valentines and gave them to me for Valentine's Day.
Finally, I added some butterflies to the back fence to give it a little pizazz.
Once I reminded myself of the role of whimsy in my life, I can happily say my down mood has turned around. One last piece of whimsy is this quote that describes me perfectly these days:
"Didn't you tie the mittens on her feet extra special nice? Yes--she is an extra special nice pigeon. She cries for pity when she wants pity. And she shuts her eyes when she doesn't want to look at you. And if you look deep in her eyes when her eyes are open you will see lights there exactly like the lights on the pastures and the meadows when the mist is drifting on a Wednesday evening just between the twilight and gloaming."
— Carl Sandburg (Rootabaga Stories)

No comments: