Fall

Fall

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wilderness! (and Crested Butte)

I just returned from a few days in the mountains. I must say, it was a transforming experience. I was invited to a remote ranch out of Creede called Wilderness Ranch with the Schultz/Tarman families. They have been staying at this ranch during the summer for the past 25 or so years. I shared a cabin with Jason, Jessica, Max and Julian. Max and I were bunk mates and I must say, he was a really great roommate! And Jay, Jess and JuJu were fabulous cabin mates. We gave each other enough space but also really enjoyed our time together. We would go off and do our own things, and then reconvene around 4pm for "happy hour"-a little snack, drink, conversation or game. It was a lovely way to connect with these people I love so much.

I totally felt "off the grid". No cell phones, computers, televisions. The cabins were rustic but cozy. We just did what we wanted whenever we felt like it. The only really measurements of time were coffee in the morning and dinner in the evening. Otherwise, we meandered, moseyed, hiked, biked, fished, read, played games, and chatted with everyone when we would see them. It was the most relaxed I think I have ever been. It always feels good to get home, but part of my heart has been left at the Ranch!






I was invited to stay the entire week, but I haven't spent much time in that part of Colorado so I decided to go to Crested Butte, a town I hadn't visited before. I have a friend there who I haven't seen in years, so it was a good incentive to go. I was also looking forward to sleeping in a king bed instead of a twin bunk. I fell in love with Crested Butte. The town is super cute, kind of hippie-ish-it seemed like every shop had the Tibetan prayer flags and everyone was riding bikes being pulled by dogs. I think I found my next house:


And I thought this was super cute:

No comments: