Fall

Fall

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Is there such thing as too much R&R?

After wandering restlessly through the house this afternoon, I decided to pick up the laptop and write a post. I have been giving a lot of thought lately to the summer and all the time I have on my hands before school begins. I find myself constantly trying to figure out "what to do." Although I have plenty of summer projects, I have plenty of time, too. So I started thinking...is there such thing as too much R&R?

I spent most of yesterday relaxing myself alongside my friend Susan. She belongs to an athletic club and we took a yoga class, had our nails done, and sat by the pool and read. I came home literally exhausted (or relaxed?). This morning I spent a very leisurely and wonderful time with a dear friend who I haven't seen or spoken to in years. We had coffee, wandered the farmer's market, talked, reminisced, shopped. I came home in a bit of a heat + good friend + coffee + shopping coma. I think of the week ahead of me and all the time I have...I will take yoga classes. I will walk everyday. I have another lunch/nail date on Friday. A hair appointment Thursday. And in between all these relaxing activities...maybe get around to a project or two?

Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve all this relaxation. I look at the people around me who work hard all week, either at a job, or staying home with their kids, and I think-well, their weekends are well deserved. Hard earned. Maybe they stay in their pajamas until lunch. Or sit and watch golf on TV. These are the little rewards of toiling through a grueling work week, whatever responsibilities they have. And me? Every day seems to be a vacation day.

I know when school starts along with my internship I will look back on this post and shake my head. I should have enjoyed every moment, I will think to myself. When I graduate and get a job, I will look back at this post and recognize my well deserved weekends. But for now, I may need to put myself to work around this old house in order to feel my time off is deserved.

No comments: