Fall

Fall

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Blog Vacation

I guess I have taken a week's vacation from the blog! I can't believe a whole week has gone by. This time last week I was coming in the door from my weekend getaway! It has been a busy week for sure...I think I had something to do every night of the week. I realized this week that I think I need to take it down a notch...be home more...clean more often (I had this realization after emptying the vacuum filter 3 times today!)...and not pack so much in. Everything I did was interesting-I went to a fashion show, saw the actor Ed Harris at the Denver Film Fest's kick off event, taught my class-but I am in need of a balance re-calibration.

I did lay on the couch and watch two movies, both of which I loved. The first was Away We Go-a very quirky movie but with a soundtrack I enjoyed (note to self: Download to Itunes). Tonight I watched The Notebook-I never did see that movie. I fell in love with Allie's and Noah's love and of course bawled at the last third of the movie. The first part caught my attention-along the lines of "If I have done one thing right in my life it is that I loved someone fully and deeply." I find so much comfort in that thought. Although Mike's and my time together was short, I truly believe in that statement. I saw him and me in Allie and Noah, sort of...we played, we fought, we loved well. The end reminded me of the commitment a good, strong love has in order to fully be present in the moment.

I had an interesting conversation Friday night with a friend of a friend. Mike became precious to me those last few weeks. Precious and terminal illness usually don't go together, I admit. But to watch the person you love most become vulnerable and frail, relying on others for some of the most simple things, without anger (most days) that person (to me) became so much more precious. I fell in love with Mike all over again as he struggled through everything...I fell in love with again the man I knew who was strong, relentless, but also vulnerable, caring and loving...and just so darn cute. It is hard to explain, and why I get into these types of conversations with people I don't know well is beyond me.

Turkey Trot training is going well. I consistently run about 3 miles every other day. This weekend my goal is to run the entire Turkey Trot route. It is funny, I haven't really lost much weight in the process even though I am eating less, drinking less, and running more-but my clothes fit better, pants feel bigger, and I am starting to lose my little donut around the waist. All of that feels so good, and I am glad I decided to make this a goal. It has been a positive outlet for me and some enjoyable time with myself. Hopefully I will keep it up after Thanksgiving.

Well, off to another week-this one promising to be less hectic.

No comments: