Fall

Fall

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Can you feel him?

I watched Oprah's interview with Patrick Swayze's wife Lisa Niemi on Friday. It was her first interview since he died of pancreatic cancer in September. She was stunning, with long blond hair, wearing all black, and had the flushed cheeks of someone who is passionately remembering the love of her life. She smiled as she spoke but I couldn't help notice the times she wiped the corner of her eye as she talked about his cancer, their love, and his final days. Oprah asked Lisa that question all of us get when we lose someone close..."Can you feel him with you?" For Lisa as well she must be always be reminded of the movie Ghost that Patrick starred in with Demi Moore. She said she did feel him, that she never felt his life and soul leave his body and she believes that soul is here with her. It was a moving interview and I am glad I saved it on DVR.

I used to wonder when Mike died if I would feel him but I didn't know what that meant. I tried to guess...I would lay awake at night expecting the bedroom door to shut randomly or to hear, actually hear his voice or maybe wake up to some vision of him sleeping next to me. Over time I have learned what "can you feel him" means. It is the swell in my heart when I think of him. It is waking from a dream, remembering he was the star of that dream. It is a sudden comfort that washes over me after a few fits of tears. It is a new confidence I exude, knowing somehow deep down I am okay. That I haven't fallen apart; rather, that he is with me holding a soft, downy blanket under me so if I do fall it isn't so bad.

Check out Oprah online about the interview...it is so rare to be present in the moment of someone that raw reflecting on the one true love of her life.
http://www.oprah.com/article/seriesandspecials/previuosshows/pkgscreeningroom/20091030-tows-lisa-niemi-patrick-swayze

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how involved with technology our daily lives have become. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further innovates, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]nintendo dsi r4i[/url] DS TF3)