Fall

Fall

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Good Hearts at Goodwill

I always thought of Goodwill Industries as catering to the needs of older people. I also associated it with any place where I would drop off donations-"Let's do a Goodwill run" when it is really the ARC I am headed to. So, I was surprised to learn all the different facets of Goodwill Industries. Yes, you can donate your used items to them. They also have programs to help adults get jobs, and they have a huge youth program, serving at-risk kids in the community. The array of programs and support Goodwill offers to youth and adults in need is very admirable (http://www.goodwilldenver.org/).

I started volunteering for the Goodwill program with their Mock Interviews. A group would go to North High School and help students with interviewing skills. I heard about the Summer Mentoring Program, where I could mentor a first-generation college bound student. The program lasts most of the summer, but the mentor and mentee are to keep in touch throughout the first year of college, just to make sure things are going okay. Through the summer, Goodwill provides classes that the mentor and mentee attend to deal with a variety of issues: time mangement, money management, relationships, peer pressure, study skills, etc. I met my mentee for the first time last night. She is a beautiful girl, originally from Bosnia but her family has been here over 8 years. She has that innocence of an 18 year old, ready to embark on her college experience. She is attending CU-Denver, my alma mater, so I can certainly help her navigate through that campus. She is very close to her family and her family is very supportive of her, so I don't know how "at-risk" she is. I do remember my first year of college, though, and if I had a mentor to get me through I would have been delighted! So, whatever her social or financial situation, she will be a great person to mentor. I am excited to start working with youth. My current job has me focused on working with adults, but working with someone young will be refreshing.

No comments: