Fall

Fall

Friday, May 11, 2007

7th Inning Stretch

In my last post I listed my favorite summer activities. Last night, Mike reminded me that I left one out...Baseball. How did I miss this staple of summer? It is such a staple that I need to write a whole posting about it.

Mike and I have the Guys Night Out package, where we get two tickets to every Tuesday night home game, free beer coupons, and a T-shirt for around $100. What I realized about the Guys Night Out package is that it is mainly a Couples Night Out package...there are few groups of testosterone in the Guys Night Out section. Thus, we get a summer of baseball at a more than reasonable cost. When baseball season begins, the night games start around 6pm...the evenings can be a bit chilly and we find ourselves leaving early because we get too cold. As the summer goes on, the nights get longer and the weather is warmer and we can sit there until the bitter end (unfortunately, many Rockies games end bitterly).

We begin our baseball evenings with a slice of New York Style pizza from Two Fisted Marios on Blake street. This is the best pizza in Denver, a funky little joint run by interesting looking people, with The Simpsons playing on TV and Slayer being blared from the speakers. We then go to the game and buy our peanuts and water from a vendor outside of Coors Field for a total cost of $3. I get my free beer and we settle in for a relaxing summer evening.

My favorite part of the night is the 7th Inning Stretch. Mike and I put our arms on each other's shoulders and sway while singing,"Take me out to the ballgame, take me out to the crowd...buy me some peanuts and cracker jack...I don't care if I never get back...and its root, root, root for the Rockies, for if they don't win it's a shame...for its 1, 2, 3 strikes you're out at the old ballgame."

Ahhhhh. Now that I have the hum of that tune in my head I am ready for this Tuesday's game.

No comments: