Fall

Fall

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Wisdom (from me??)

I was asked recently to be the confirmation sponsor of my friend's 14 year old daughter. She is an 8th grader at MPB, and will be going on to high school in the fall. I hadn't talked to my friend Shelley for over a year, life and cancer got the best of me and I didn't keep up with the friendship. She emailed me recently and just called me a few weeks ago. It was so good to connect with her again. We talked as if the time hadn't gone by at all. I just love friendships like that-nothing to prove, nothing to apologize for...just good old fashioned love and care for each other.

Jane got on the phone and asked me to be her sponsor for confirmation. I was speechless. I remember choosing my sponsor for confirmation. It was a thoughtful, very deliberate choice. I chose the mother of a friend whom I admired, and she was a dedicated and caring sponsor. To know that Jane went through that very same deliberation and ended up choosing me overwhelmed me. I said yes right away, aware of the commitment but also aware of my special relationship with Jane. Shelley and I formed a friendship over 10 years ago, when we both worked at ABC Books. We partied together, had quiet dinners together, I helped her move, she helped entertain me while Mike was in Antarctica. I have known Jane since she was 3 years old, when I used to read to her when she would come visit the bookstore. Jane has always been that thoughtful "old soul" type. I never talked down to her as a child, I always made sure to pay her attention when we were all together. So, I think that over the years Jane and I have a bond that I believe will always be there.

Last night was a confirmation meeting. I planned on meeting Jane there. A flood of middle schoolers came rolling in, and in the rush I saw Jane. She had a big smile for me and a hug, and so genuinely thanked me for coming. The theme of the night was "Wisdom." What words of wisdom did I have for Jane? If you have never been intimidated, this will do it to you! I thought, "Me? Give words of wisdom to Jane?" After much deliberation, I told her to live with integrity and intention; and even if her views are unpopular to stand by her convictions. I told her to make sure her decisions are in alignment who she is at her core. I hope my words of wisdom will be something she will think about in times of hard decisions; when she is becoming a young woman and developing the person she will be in this world. She is already a shining light, and I hope her light shines bright for years to come.

No comments: