Fall

Fall

Monday, June 11, 2007

A Hike, a Hot Shower, and a Cold Beer

Yesterday we went on our favorite hike to Lost Lake. This hike is outside of Eldora, and Lost Lake is not quite in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. The beginning is a bit rough, a little rocky, and has an incline, but the rest is pretty manageable. There is a beautiful creek running alongside most of the trail, which looks at some point like a waterfall. I would stop at certain places to look at the rushing waters and I felt like I was looking at a John Fielder picture or something, it was just gorgeous as water rushed down and sprayed itself along the rocks. Lost Lake is the destination, although there are a ton of other hikes to other lakes as well.

Dogs can be off leash. I was so nervous at the beginning. Chester has a sense of adventure, and I just pictured him getting into the creek and swept away, never to be heard from again. Fortunately, dogs are smart and Chester instinctively knew not to go in. I have also had a fear that if they run off they will get taken by a bear or mountain lion. Well, they didn't run off too far and there were no bears or mountain lions so that fear wasn't valid either. I had to relax and just let the boys run. We got to the lake and I had forgotten how picturesque this was. There are mountains around the lake, and in July the wildflowers pop off the sides of the hills. The boys swam, Mike and I hiked. It was a perfect day. On the way back, the boys were so tired. Stan limped, Chester rarely got excited when we came across people (unless they had food in their pockets). Chester would go off on his own, and Stan would try to herd Chester back. Mike and would keep walking and Stan would stay put, looking to where Chester was and back at us, as if to say, "Hey guys! Wait for Chester!" We made it home, and all four of us napped. After a hike, there is nothing like a nap in cold sheets with the ceiling fan going. We showered, grilled some steak, and I had a nice cold beer. Summer....gotta love it. I know that this is just the beginning.

No comments: