Fall

Fall

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Wedding Bells

I am in my first wedding this summer. The phrase, "always a bridesmaid, never a bride," never really described me. It is more like, "never a bridesmaid, but truly a bride." It isn't that I have no friends, and that is why I was never in a wedding. My friends who got married out of college either had too many friends so they limited their wedding party; got married in another country; nixed the whole traditional big wedding and had small gatherings; or hadn't met the man of their dreams yet. And now, I have a wide range of friends, from my school buddies many years ago to young single women who I work with now to older women with whom I click. Thus, not a lot of people are getting married these days.

My friend who is getting married is one that I met in preschool. She is marrying a man who she dated right after high school and they rekindled their romance a few years ago after a reunion of sorts. It is a true love story. At 17 or 18, no one knew who they were and so the relationship could not have lasted. We all needed to figure ourselves out before we could find the love of our lives. When they met again, both knew themselves well and were ready to be in love, and that is what happened. So, if I am going to be in one wedding in my life, I am excited to know that this wedding also has a pretty interesting story behind it. And, she is my friend for, like 26 years, so I am thrilled to be a part of this. Cheers to you, J and J. I hope I can make you proud as I don my dress, throw your parties, and support you throughout your marriage, which hopefully will last as long as our friendship has.

No comments: