Fall

Fall

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Needles

This morning I had the life insurance exam guy come. We got life insurance on Mike when we were first married, and now we are getting it on me. Last week, I had to tell a stranger over the phone about my medical history. Today, a young man toting a little black bag came by. He got my height, weight (yikes!), asked me personal questions, and got "fluid" samples. Then came the blood sample. I am usually really good about needles; I figure taking blood should be a basic skill of anyone in the health care industry. So, in goes the first needle. Oops, faulty equipment-the suction didn't work. Other arm. In goes the second needle. Huh, this is strange. This has never happened before....(nothing was coming out). Let's try the other arm again. In goes the 3rd needle. Hmmm....what is happening? Nothing is there. This is so weird. I yelped in pain on the third try-unless Dracula visited me in the night, I think I have plenty of blood swirling around my veins. I suggested that we let this arm heal and he come back another time. Nice guy, very apologetic, but I dread his visit again.

I must take this moment to tell my husband how much I admire him. Mike, I am in awe about how calm and strong you are when you are being poked by needles. You never let the pokes get to you, and even if it hurts you take it in stride. Not only that, but your needles are necessary to combat cancer, so the fact that you calmly get through the needles knowing why you have to have them is amazing. I truly want you to know that I love you and wish I could be as strong as you are. I will try, okay? I will open the door to this guy's next visit, put on smile on, and get through another blood drawn attempt.

No comments: